Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Monday, May 09, 2005

Just Say No, Reggie

Why is Reggie Miller going to retire after this season?

That's all I can think of as I watch the Pacers-Pistons Game One, Eastern Conference Semi-finals (Detroit up by 12 with 4:40 left in the third quarter). Oh, I also keep thinking how much I liked Rick Carlisle as a coach. Not that I dislike Larry Brown, but I really liked Rick Carlisle.

But back to Reggie--why is he retiring? He's old, by NBA standards, but he's still productive and no one can say that he embarrasses himself by his play, by any stretch of the imagination. Is there some kind of nagging injury that I don't know about? So far in the playoffs, he looks to me like a guy with the legs and heart to go at least another season. I know that this gets harder as you age--let's talk about my running some other time--but you will never be able to play at that level again, once you leave it.

Plus, Reggie, you're my last connection to the NBA of my college years. C'mon Reggie, stick around one more year, for me. (I should add, though, Reggie, as a Pistons fan I have never had any love for you. I just don't get the retirement thing, when you are playing at such a high level.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home