Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Thank You, Coco Crisp

We went to Jacobs Field yesterday to see the Tigers visit the Tribe in the night game of a day-night doubleheader--to celebrate my 36th birthday. It was not much of a game in the sense that the Tribe shut out the Tigers, 6-0. But I did get to see something that I've never seen in person (or, at least, that I don't remember ever seeing in person, which is about the same thing): In the bottom of the eighth, with two outs, Coco Crisp hit the bill sharply to right center, off the fence, and rocketed around the bases for an inside-the-park home run. Like I said, can't remember ever seeing one of those before. That was cool.





Since it was my birthday, the Tribe also provided a postgame fireworks display. Oh, yeah, it was also dollar dog day, so our hotdogs were only a buck each. And I found a free parking space on the street. So it was a great outing to the Jake.

BTW, someone wanted me to teach her how to keep score. I was a little skeptical, at first, but it turned out to be a great idea. Keeping score is a great way to follow the game--of course, that's why people do it. The most complicated play to score: In the top of the seventh, no outs, Omar Infante on third, Wilson on first; Nook Logan hits a ground ball to the first baseman, who comes home with the throw, snaring Infante in a rundown. The catcher (Martinez) runs Infante back toward third, throws to third baseman Hernandez (who drops the ball, but quickly picks it up and) throws back to Martinez for the tag out. If you're scoring at home: 3-2-5-2, and give Logan a fielder's choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home