Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

New Word Joins the English Language

OK, freebloggers. Here's your chance to be on the ground floor of something big. The better half is writing a party about party voting in Congress, and I've come to the conclusion that the English language needs, badly, an antonym for "partisan," as a noun meaning a member of a particular party. For example, I can have "co-partisans," but what about members of the other party? Are they "anti-partisans"?

My suggestion: "versisan(s)," n., denoting members of the opposing or other party.

Sentence: "Although I saw many fellow partisans at the meeting, there was nary a versisan."

Compare to: "Although I saw many fellow partisans at the meeting, there was nary a member of the other party."

Look, my word saves you four words, without loss of meaning. Imagine, you would no longer have to use the clunky phrase, "members of the opposing [opposite; other] party."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home