Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Just One Superpower?

Here, I mean actual superpowers, as in superheroes. Like Superman. Spider Man. Aqua Man. Batman. (Actually, Batman has no superpowers, only a utility belt and a kick-ass car/plane/submarine/Boy Wonder.) If you could have just one superpower, which would you choose? Only one: so keep the powers well defined. Superhuman strength is one power, but superhuman abilities encompasses superhuman strength and other powers. Omnipotence is clearly out.

I'll go first. If I could have just one superpower, it would be the power to fly. To keep this fairly specific and well-defined, I would want the power to fly through the air, at a speed of up to sixty miles per hour, and with the ability to carry 150 pounds in addition to my own body weight.

One guy at work today said he'd want precognition. When pressed on the timeframe for precognition, he settled on two days into the future. He also said that there was some study in the past that found personality differences between people who want the power to turn invisible and people who want to be able to fly. This makes sense to me. People who want the power to turn invisible are clearly just pervs. But don't not answer that, if that's the power you want. (Perv.)

2 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Paul said...

I'd like to be able to speak with dead -- sort of like Odysseus in Book XI of the Odyssey. I don't know what you would call it -- nekrophasia?

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I want the power to make plants of my choosing spontaneously grow and make fruit at the speed of my choosing at any location on the globe, regardless of my proximity to that location.

Fresh peaches every day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home