Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Mormonstar Galactica

I was talking to a friend a couple weeks ago about my interest in Mormon history and theology. This friend (who I hope is reading the blog now?) is also a big fan of Battlestar Galactica, in its modern version. I pointed out that Glen Larson, the creator of the original series, was LDS, and that the series had a lot of Mormon themes, with the lost tribe of humanity (lost tribe of Israel), just for starters.

Check out this article for a few more parallels.

Btw, we're reading The Refiner's Fire: The Making of Mormon Cosmology, 1644-1844, by John L. Brooke. More on this dense work in future posts. The point I want to make here is that Commander Adama's name strikes me as pointing toward the Adamic-hermetic tradition, which would be another linkage.

1 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Number Three said...

That comment really makes me want to watch the new series. Thanks, Mike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home