Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

New Word

I learned a new word today, administrivia. Its origin, of course (and I'm insulting your intelligence by telling you this, but here goes, and besides, how long has it been since your intelligence was insulted . . . OK, strike that), is a blend of administrative and trivia. PC Magazine provides a definition here. A quick Google search indicates that it's used in IT contexts to describe software documentation. But I just ran across a use in Patrick Lencioni's Death by Meeting (2004), which seems to be broader and encompass any discussion of administrative minutiae.

So I'm declaring this an official word. I'm sure all of you will find contexts in which to use it.

1 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Emery,

Just one trivial philological note. The word administrivia is a neuter plural. Sometimes I see sentences such as "This administrivia is annoying", using the singular forms "this" and "is" instead of "these" and "are", just as one often sees or hears "the data is skewed".

-Ivy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home