Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Thursday, December 15, 2005

More Thoughts Flood into the Breach

Sam weighs in on the death question.

And he accuses me of cheating:

However, I think Emery is cheating here. He dismisses the work done by 'cognize' and 'experience' so that he can then go on to 'conceptualize' death by offering us this very nice metaphor. But conceptualizing death is not cognizing its experience. The work cognize is doing is to make the link to epistemology. This means we're not just saying what death is like (as Emery's quote does), but saying something about knowing death.


I'm not sure, again, what work a lot of these terms are doing. For example, what does it mean to "know[ ] death"? The phrase seems to import all kinds of meaning into the term death, when death has a rather simple meaning: it means that one is no longer alive. One cannot know anything once one is dead because . . . well, that sentence is complete without the "because." The premise of the (unstated) question seems to be that there is something knowable about death, epistemologically. I offer up, from a scientific point of view, what is knowable, i.e., the absence of life. Science does not speak in personal terms--from the scientific point of view, whose death this is, that we are speaking of, is irrelevant. I can speak as to what it will mean when I am dead. But I won't know anything then because . . . I'll be dead. What else is there to know?

The premise seems to be, yet again, that we as human beings (or Beings, or Being) have some special relationship to the Cosmos that, somehow, grounds our experiences and, again, somehow, validates our anxieties. To believe that, it seems to me, you need to have an explanation for that special relationship. If you reject supernatural beings (or a supernatural Being) with a particular interest in the doings of human beings, then it seems to me you're stuck with consciousness. But if you think that concisousness is better explained physically, then you are, again, making quite a leap going from the natural, material world to the supernatural, metaphysical plane.

I don't think that this is cheating. I start from, and work with, materialistic, naturalistic, and scientific premises. I reject any approach that posits a special relationship b/w human consciousness and Reality, the Universe, and whatever else you want to put in that position. I am up-front about these things. At the same time, I know that peope find the prospect of dying unpleasant. So do I. trust me. But that doesn't mean that there's some special, hidden meaning in the things that we find unpleasant. Those things simply thwart human desires.

I may be missing something. But I need to know, in rather concrete terms, what that is. I understand the appeal of mystification, of enveloping unpleasant (or unseemly) aspects of human existence in a shroud of mystery . . . but it seems to me that one must fight the urge to fudge these things. I also understand the urge to move the discussion up a level of abstraction, to go from anxieties about death to positing a cause for those anxieties, or a deeper meaning, that grounds or validates those anxieties. But again, it seems to me that if we're always honest about what we're doing, honest with ourselves, we can tell when we start telling tales to comfort children.

And I'm as much a child as anyone else, when it comes to this subject.

2 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Blogger fronesis said...

I find this very helpful in clarifying your position; it's very cogent; and I can't really accuse it of cheating. And yet, I think I'll wait for TMcD's response and I suspect I'll agree with it.

You see, you're simply saying forcefully that death is something we can't know. Anything beyond that is merely a psychological matter of dealing with our anxieties about dying.

But despite not practicing any sort of religion myself, I think that death has a meaning-in-the-world that carries ontological weight despite our not being able to know it. Thus, I think there is something called Being-towards-death that is ontologocial meaningful.

And I'm sorry to put that in Heideggerian terms. If I had been raised religious or had some faith myself, perhaps I could put it in a different language. But ontology is all I've really got.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Emery, here's why I agree with Sam's earlier claim that you're cheating. You're essentially hiding behind scientific method to avoid addressing uncomfortable questions. True, science has rules for making knowledge claims, including the repeatability of data points, etc. Science doesn't do singularities; it is impersonal. But this doesn't mean that singular events, such as the creation of the universe or the individual experience of death aren't meaningful parts of our reality. They're just parts of our reality that hide from scientific method. Life is "personal" even if science is not.

But your claim is actually contradictory, I think. By describing death as a "light switch," you reach out for a metaphor that gives you the impression of having some concrete knowledge of an experience that science cannot, in fact, reach. Those kinds of metaphors are the stuff of poetry, and a less electrified age might instead talk of the "great sleep," or something similar. As I'm sure you know, however, that is not the only way to conceive death from a non-theist perspective. Many ancient Epicureans (and Stoics?) embraced the idea of "eternal return" later picked up by Nietzsche. Infinite atoms combining randomly in finite space over infinite time will someday recombine in exactly the same pattern, and laws of motion being what they are, you will live this same life over and over again without memory of it. It's not hard to spin this off into an "alternate universe" theory where your consciousness lives not just its own life over and over, but every possible variation of its own life in unremembered sequence. So we could end up with something like Plato's Myth of Er, or Shirley McClaine on speed. None of this necessarily requires a "God." In other words, you can't avoid making some unscientific choices here, and you've made yours. As you yourself suggest, your choices may be driven as much by your own psychological needs as by any strict scientific knowledge--to not worry about death as anything more "unpleasant" than non-existence, a very Epicurean move. Interestingly, that "oblivion" of death is exactly what Augustine conceives of as "hell," since life itself is the essential good.

Try as you might, you can't do away with metaphysics or with metaphor. You can limit them, try to confine them within manageable and meaningless boundaries, but they always come back at the edge of our experience to confront us with the unknowlable. Science is a specific epistemology, one designed to create a range of rational control. Nothing shows the impossibility of that control better than death (which is also NOT to say that religions should obsess over death to the exclusion of life).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home