Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Thoughts on King Kong

Rebecca says that King Kong is the worst movie of the year. Worse than Stealth? But seriously, I think that she makes some good points, despite my praise of the film's special effects.

I agree with Rebecca, for example, that Jackson's King Kong is, at a fundamental level, racist. The better half has suggested that Jackson's New Zealand background makes him less sensitive to the issue of race than an American director would be. I don't know enough about New Zealand (and the Maoris) to say. My point on this would be that, if you think about it, the King Kong story is fundamentally a racist one. King Kong is a giant, black gorilla who lives on a tropical island, where savages worship him and practice some form of human sacrifice to him. The savages, dark-skinned, seize a blond white woman and offer her up to the ape; the ape falls for the white woman, and that's, in the end, his downfall. In the process, the black ape is captured and, er, enslaved. But his brute, physical strength makes it impossible to keep him in chains. In the end, he must be destroyed.

One need not be Black Panther Eldrige Cleaver in Soul on Ice to find this narrative problematic.

If you want to tell the story, it seems to me that you can't avoid that racist baggage. I can't imagine what form the story would take to avoid the black-white issues (where the ape represents a racist image of the black man) and the modern-primitive/savage issues. Ann Darrow as a black woman? The ape is white? The Skull Islanders are Vikings?

So, one wouldn't really need to see King Kong to criticize the film as racist. At least, that's my view.

The film is also too long, and it is rather self-indulgent. But, as I hope to make clear in a future post, we live in The Age of Self-Indulgence. So the film is a product of it's time . . . .

Btw, I liked Spielberg's War of the Worlds. Link.

2 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Emery,

I haven't seen Kong yet, but I have been to NZ. As a general rule, the British ex-pats hanging around the Univesity of Otago and the local Kiwis I met seemed quite progressive, more so than say most Americans. I won't go into all the details, but that was my distinct impression in the three days I was there. I can't speak about Jackson's character, but I would agree with your point that it's just about impossible to handle the story of King Kong without replicating the racist undertones that informed its narrative at its inception. The last attempt at King Kong, if memory serves me right, tried to mitigate this by painting most of the white Westerners as more callously savage businessmen.

As for recent films, you've got to see Casanova, if for no other reason than the fact that under all the makeup and wigs, the actress, Natalie Dormer, who plays Victoria, looks a lot like Frances.

Cheers,

Paul

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

If the ape had been white, the abominable snowman joke wouldn't have worked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home