Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Teaching

So my teaching hiatus lasted a semester. As some of you may know, I'm back in the saddle, teaching a course in civil liberties and civil rights at the University of Maryland College Park this spring. (And it does feel like spring in the D.C.-area, despite the fact that it's still February.) And I agree with Rebecca that fifty minutes, twice a week, is basically no time at all. Why only two sessions a week? Because I have a teaching assistant who has discussion groups, my friends. Oh, yes. But that means that, to actually cover the material that one should cover in this course, one has to absolutely fly through the material. I mean, the material covered in this course is a short version of, like, three law school courses. All the First Amendment stuff, the crim pro stuff (the biggies), and civil rights, plus privacy, death penalty, and Incorporation doctrine. (That's Fourteenth Amendment incorporation, not the limited liability kind.)

So if in coming months, this blog becomes a bit like a mini-Con law tutorial, I apologize. But that will be one subject that will have my full attention.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm teaching this class . . . that's a good question. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

1 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger fronesis said...

You can take heart in the fact that at least you have 15 weeks of two 50-minute lectures per week, plus whatever your TAs may be able to teach them. Our system over here has Rebecca teaching 9 weeks of 2 lectures each. It has me teaching 8 weeks, with one two-hour meeting per week. My goal: have them learn ONE book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home