Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Friday, April 28, 2006

Golden Bible Follow-up

In this earlier post, I asked how you would react to a vision or revelation from God--or, at least, to what subjectively appears to have been a revelation. In comments, Rebecca says that she uses this question with her students (her courses must be more fun than the ones I teach), and offers the example of Mohammed's wife, Khadija. Which raises an interesting question . . .

This time, it's not you. Your spouse (or significant other, or close sibling, if you're unattached) comes to you and tells you that they had a vision/revelation. S/He describes the vision or revelation in detail and really, really seems to believe that this happened. Now, you're initial reaction is omigod I'm married to a crazy person. I'm sure of that. But what would it take to persuade you that the vision/revelation was true? Maybe not specifically, but in terms of the kinds of evidence that would help sway you.

I'm not sure, for my part, that I get past that first reaction. Not without my own vision, that is.

2 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Frances said...

Based on what we know about real world prophets, that spouse would need to be super-charismatic, an overwhelming personality, a commanding leader who draws people to himself/herself. Do I need to worry about this?

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Number Three said...

Frances,

Does the following describe your spouse? "super-charismatic, an overwhelming personality, a commanding leader who draws people to himself"?

He must be one hell of a guy. Is he having visions?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home