Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Monday, July 17, 2006

War War War

I see that I'm not the only one brooding over recent events. But I am a little more "optimistic," if that is the right word, than Paul. Not optimistic about the situation in Lebanon and Gaza. I heard Condi say on Faux News Sunday that cessation of violence, a cease-fire, was not the real goal of the administration, but a solution to the underlying problem. This appears to me to be one of those situations where the best one might achieve would be a cease-fire. To press for more, when Israel is hard at work destroying Lebanon's entire infrastructure (and Gaza's) . . . well, what does one expect from the "greeted as liberators" folks, I guess?

But I am less inclined to think that the United States will be involved in a war with Iran, any time soom. I've been worried about a looming war with Iran for awhile. And here. But I don't think that it would be possible to sell the American people on such a war, at this point. There may have been a point, but the falling apart of American support for the war in Iraq would seem to doom escalation.

Things might change. But I think the current effort by the neocons to link everything bad happening to Iran is not enough. I can't imagine that the idea that "Israel is fighting our enemies," as Bill Kristol, I think, said on FNS yesterday will catch on.

The best response was Juan Williams's. He mocked "General Kristol" and said something like, "All you guys ever talk about is war war war." Indeed. That strikes me as a great line, one that a cleer politician might do something with.

Because no matter what fantasies harbored by Kristol and his ilk, the American people have clearly had enough war war war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home