Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I Voted Electronically Today . . . I Think

So my D.C. polling place this morning had electronic voting machines (as an option; they also had paper ballots, but I'm always game to try something new). In terms of ease of use, I would say that the machine I used was as easy to use as an ATM. Touchscreen voting, by office, just like in the voting guide. It asked me if I wanted to leave some votes blank--which I did, for reasons I may discuss in a moment. And it let me see my votes for each office, before the vote was "cast." Now, of course, my votes might be deleted, accidentally or otherwise. And I didn't get a receipt, which really doesn't matter anyway. So I'm suspicious of electronic machines, in general, but they're not obviously worse than punchcards.

BTW, I didn't vote in the primary for nominees for House member and Senator, since I live in the frackin' District of Columbia, and we don't have a House member or Senators. (I did vote for non-voting Delegate, but that's different. That's a real, existent, but powerless office, like Emperor of Japan.) I refuse, as a matter of principle, to vote for non-existent offices. That's how I'm stickin' it to the Man, baby. Give me a vote, or don't. But don't pee on my leg and call it enfranchisement.

Oh, and Paul, I didn't have to show identification. But my last name was the same as one of the poll judges, so it was kind of a family affair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home