Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Friday, November 17, 2006

Bo Schembechler passes into the End-Zone

Bo Schembechler, the irascible legendary coach of Michigan, just followed Woody Hayes into the great beyond. He was a guy whom I loved to hate, but the UM-OSU rivalry sure was fun to watch when those two went at it. The first college football game I ever attended was Ohio State vs. Michigan State in 1974. Woody’s OSU team came into Spartan Stadium undefeated and ranked #1 that day, but the unranked Spartans beat them on a controversial last call of the game. At that time I hated Woody Hayes – I still remember a sign being carried around at the game that I applauded: “Squeeze Woody’s balls green!”. But about a decade after Woody’s ignominious exit from football, he was asked to give a graduation speech at Ohio State. A friend of mine was graduating that day (mid 80s), so I went down to attend and got to hear him talk. He was still a fiery son-of-a-gun, but he also had another side to him that was -- I don’t know how else to put it -- pure, unadulterated, “awe-shucks” Ohio. His oratorical skills were impressive, and his speech, which concluded with a loud and thunderous standing ovation, brought tears to his eyes and just about everyone else’s. After that speech I understood why Ohio loved him, and I actually began to like the guy myself. Then after he was already dead, I ended up going to OSU for grad school and thus witnessed the UM-OSU rivalry up close. Bo was always still around then. I think my favorite Bo moment was when, as Athletic Director, he fired the basketball coach Bill Frieder, who had announced on the eve of the March Madness tournament that he was taking a job elsewhere. At the press conference to announce the firing, Bo said something to the effect “I want a Michigan man coaching Michigan!” Well, Bo, may the turf always be light on you, but tomorrow Go Bucks!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home