Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Friday, January 25, 2008

Rudy! A Prospective Retrospective

To be honest, we always knew that Rudy was a non-serious candidate for the GOP nomination. Didn't we? I mean, as TMcD once described him, he is and has always been "a pro-choice, pro-gay, cousin-marrying, serial adulterer." Link Not that there's anything wrong with that (except for the adultery part, honey!). Rudy had the support of the NYC-DC right-wing pundit class, but that support was always based on the idea that he was the best bet to hold onto the White House. I think that was it, anyway--next time I see George Will on the street, I'll have to ask him.

In contact with actual voters, and here I mean actual GOP primary voters, Rudy fared very poorly--as we always knew he would, right? I mean, it seems so obvious now.

Rudy crashed and burned in New Hampshire, and then conveniently decided that he hadn't actually tried there anyway. Then came the bizarre (one hesitates to call it) "strategic" decision to pour all his resources into Florida, because . . . what was the idea again? That Florida is really a northeastern state? That Florida is like the sixth burrough?

Some bloggers have attributed Rudy's fall to "ShagGate." Others, I hear, think his biggest problem with primary voters is that his own kids don't like him. (This one gives too much credit to primary voters, I think.)

No one, at least no one I've ever read, has suggested that Rudy's fall was precipitated by that weird eye-popping thing he does on the teevee. Oh, yeah, you know what I'm talking about. Some television consultant, at some point, told Rudy that he should avoid blinking on camera. (My guess is that Rudy has a natural tendency to Nixonesque eye-darting, which is correctable.) To counteract the tendency to blink, when Rudy wants to emphasize a point, he bulges his eyes, showing as much of the whites of his eyes as possible. You've noticed. Admit it.

But we don't need an elaborate theory to explain why a candidate with socially liberal views (on abortion, guns, and gay rights at least), from NYC, without foreign policy experience, and with, to be kind, a "colorful" personal history, didn't make the cut when actual voters started paying attention, do we?

Rudy, we barely knew thee. By which I mean, we knew you too, too well.

4 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Ahem. See this post here and follow the link.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Frances said...

You called it, Paul!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Number Three said...

Hey, that is a great post--and follow the links to more great posts.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Well I for one am sad. Sad that Rudy never won a primary, never established himself as an actual frontrunner for the nomination, and never got to hear the phrase "cousin-marrying serial adulterer" thrown at him by Willard the Scheming Panderbot Romney during a nationally televised debate. And if Mittens hadn't done it, we now know that Hill sure would have. What makes me cry is how much POTENTIAL he pissed away.

So long, Rudy. Say hey to Lou Holtz and Zig Ziggler when you see them at the Ramada.

P.S. Thanks for linking to my old post. I cracked myself up all over again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home