Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Cinderella Sunday!

Goliath falls to David-son. After this Easter resurrection, I guess now we know that God really does prefer Presbyterians to Jesuits. With both my alma maters in the hunt this year, I had good hopes of getting a Sweet 16. But when overrated 4-seed Vandy choked hard in the opening round against the Siena (where is that?) Saints, and Davidson went down early by 17 today, all looked dark.

We were on the road back from Chattanooga when the miracle happened, so I managed to miss something that will probably never happen again for the smallest school (1600 students) in Division I sports. Davidson made the soccer final four a couple of years after I graduated, but this is a little bigger. True, the Cats had a 22 game win streak and were ranked #23 in the AP going into post-season. Bizarrely, they were ranked at the start of the year too but slipped after close early losses to UNC, Duke, and UCLA. Still, the Sweet 16 looked like a long shot after a #10 seed and early games against Gonzaga and G'town. Stephen Curry is a remarkable player, with 70 points in the first two rounds. I watched his dad play for the Hornets for years, and he had one of the prettiest shots I've ever seen. Sounds like Stephen does too--be nice if they actually put the Davidson-Wisconsin game on TV here so I could see for myself.

3 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger lips said...

Finally! Like Number Three, I patiently waited for the Davidson post...Curry was amazing in the second half, but those free throws at the end were tough to watch. A total of 98 brackets in my pool and only four of us got it right. Thank you tenaciousmd for introducing some of us to Davidson!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Wow--you actually bet on Davidson, Lips?! I'm impressed. Had I entered a pool, I'm not sure that even I would have had them beating Georgetown.

After two tough, close games in the opening rounds in 2006 and 2007 (MD & Ohio State), I guess they were due for a nice little run this year. And Stephen Curry is only a sophomore! This may not be his last year at DC. Given his small size and young looks, I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay in college a bit longer to beef up before turning pro. The Davidson e-mails started going around today to see if anyone is up for a road trip to Detroit.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Donnetta said...

You can watch all the games live online. They are on Yahoo and Espn.com.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home