Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Where Have We Been? Or, And Then There Were Three!



It's been a while, I know. But trust me, we've been busy. Our little daughter (nickname "Bee"), seen here on the second day of life outside, was born on TMcD's birthday, June 22. And we moved into the new house June 23. That was monumentally poor planning, but the baby was three weeks early. She caught us rather unprepared--not, I expect, for the last time. Mother and daughter are both doing fine.

I wouldn't recommend moving and having your first child in the same week. Then we also had a few plumbing issues in the new house, which added to the stress. Those issues seem resolved now, although old houses have old plumbing, and thus plumbing issues. It's part of the "charm."

Bee is a true delight, although at three weeks old children don't do much more than eat, poop, pee, and sleep. According to some in the neonatal field, until about three months the child is really still a fetus. That's a weird way to think about it, but in my new experience, it makes a lot of sense. Bee isn't really focused on the outside world as yet. Her own bodily sensations, yes. And even not so bright light bothers her. But most "stimuli" aren't, yet.

Oh, and she really looks like my baby pictures. The old wives' tale is that babies look like their fathers--I guess I can see how that would have evolutionary potential. Looking like me might not be a good thing in the long run, however--I hope that she favors Frances as she gets older.

3 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder whether Speed does anything but focus on his own bodily sensations too.

Congratulations to you and Frances. May Bee look more like her mother every day!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Gotta like the "fourth trimester" theory. Explains a lot.

In an e-mail, I joked that it looked like you had a Tom Cruise baby, but not having seen your baby pics, 3, I also have to say that Bee reminds me most of your dad. Which would add another generation to that evolutionary spin. It may be true, however, that paternal resemblance fades. Luckily for us, Lang looks a little more like her mama all the time. Here's wishing you similar happy fate. And a good night sleep.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Hey 3 and Frances,

Congratulations on Bee and the new crib. Both sets of plumbing will eventually settle down...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home