Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Turtle Soup

I hear we have some Maryland fans on this blog. Looks like it's going to be a long year for the Scarlet Snappers.

MTSU 24 Maryland 14.

Nathan Bedford Forrest must be smiling in his grave.

Addendum by Number Three: It will be a long year. Next week is Cal at home. We had trouble with 1-AA Delaware and got beat at Murfreesboro by a solid Sun Belt team. What will a PAC-10 team do to us? (PS: Cal beat Washington State 66-3 on the road yesterday. Should I give away my ticket for the game next week? Or find a Cal fan who might enjoy it?)

Even worse, I watched that game last night on Comcast. The Terps were terpible. The offense could not sustain a drive, convert a third down . . . Chris Turner overthrew receivers most of the night, and the INT in the end zone really hurt. The defense was on the field so much that their poor performance can be somewhat excused (but not the penalties, including pass interference in the end zone.) And the kicking game . . . don't get me started.

On the other side of the ball, MTSU played exceedingly well. (The game was not as close as 24-14 makes it sound.) I can see how they almost beat Virginia last year and whipped Maryland this year.

Btw, the announcing team on Comcast were MTSU homers, including Kelly Holcomb, former NFL QB and MTSU alum. He kept calling MTSU "Middle," which I had never heard before. TMcD? I kind of like it.

4 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Wilson said...

Man I never liked Ralph Friedgen. I know some programs have to be relegated to the basement of division I, but there's no reason why that has to be the case with Maryland. That place cares about its football. He should be fired and replaced with someone who doesn't suck. They'll be able to give another scholarship on the money they save at the team buffets alone.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

"Middle" is a pretty common moniker for MTSU down here, necessary b/c the full name is a mouthful.

Unfortunately for you guys, I'm not sure that we're that great a Sun Belt team. We got beat by Troy St. last week, we've been picked to finish somewhere in the "middle," and most have seen this as a building year.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Number Three said...

I knew about the Troy loss and understand that Middle is not a great Sun Belt team. Oy. My home games remaining, with prediction:
California, L
Eastern Michigan (divided loyalties, and I will be wearing green), -
Wake Forest, L (assuming we're not as good as Ole Miss???)
NC State, W
North Carolina, W
Florida State, L

OK, I'm a homer picking the NC State and UNCCH games.

And I agree, fire the Fridge! He's playing football like it's 1960. He hates the forward pass. We need new blood. And this offensive coordinator he brought in this year--hell, he couldn't beat a ten year old on video college football.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Number Three said...

Link.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home