Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Sunday, February 08, 2009

All Who Wander

May not be lost, but in D.C., they most certainly are. I'm asked for directions a lot--because, frankly, I must look like I know where I'm going. And I'm almost constantly amazed at how "off course" my interlocutors are. Like the folks looking for 7th St. NW (i.e., "Chinatown") who were wandering around 7th St. NE finding no restaurants (there aren't any). Or the guy with massive grocery sacks looking for Maryland Avenue. When I asked if he had a cross street, he said "North East." Very helpful. At least he had an address . . . which, of course, gives the cross street . . . but he didn't know that.

Lost. Lost. Lost.

How do these journeys begin? "I'm in a strange city, but I'll wing it." ??? "I think I know how to get . . . where is it again?" ???

The best is the couple on Constitution Avenue about a city block from the Smithsonian Metro stop. I was jogging, and they asked where the nearest Metro was. I said, "Smithsonian is right over there," and I pointed in the right direction. As I jogged away, I heard the male half of the couple say, "Smithsonian isn't over there." You're welcome.

I may have blogged that story before.

1 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Wilson said...

Unrelated--great post on The Big Hurt over at Joe Posnanski's blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home