Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Sunday, January 16, 2011

A New Hope

So, I "decided" to take a long hiatus at the blog. Not deliberately, but things steamrolled me, and then I hadn't done it in a long time. Hard to start back. Then I found that I had little to say other than that I am deeply troubled by the state of the world . . . and had little (interesting) to say, other than that. "I am deeply troubled by the state of the world."

But TMcD called me yesterday to see what was going on. And I promised him that I would blog again, even if just to type "I am deeply disturbed by the state of the world," maybe as often as once a day.

But yesterday, as well--fate?--there was this curious article in the WP on Rahm's bid to become mayor of Chicago. Worth a looksie, especially to the vast number of readers of this blog who reside in Chicago. The point of the article seems to be that Rahm's opponents are seeking to use his associations with Obama (and, to some extent, Clinton) against him with . . . black and Hispanic voters. Even though, as the article points out, a couple of times, Obama is incredibly popular with Chicagoans of color.

It's almost like the reporter doesn't know very much about Chicago politics?

The Cornel West quotes are the best, though. I guess if you're a national reporter doing a story on racial politics in a Chicago mayoral primary, it makes sense to call Cornell West for a quote!

2 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger fronesis said...

It ALWAYS makes sense to call Cornel West for a quote - no matter what the story is!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

I liked that story more than you did, despite the West oddity. My take away was that blacks in Chicago (40% of the city) have been waiting for a long time for the chance to have another black mayor, but they're in the weird position of having Chicago's black president throwing his weight (by implication, at least) toward another centrist white guy, so they're desperately looking for anti-Obama and anti-Clinton angles. But if the best you've got is a bumbling Braun an aging Rush and an ivy West, you're probably not going to get very far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home