Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Another one of those occasions when the onus is on the men to perform, so to speak. (The list includes, at minimum, the anniversary, the birthday, Mother's Day for many, and this one.) Having been married for 15 years this coming June--yes, you read that correctly, you are all getting old--I have basically given up on the creative Valentine's day gift. It's a short list of options, when you get down to it, really.

I was talking to a (younger) work colleague, who is married, and he was like, "Oh, we don't really celebrate Valentine's Day. It's commercial, blah blah blah." A word of advice (and I did share this with him, as is my wont): Your wife/partner/significant other can believe this, but still appreciate a thoughtful present at the same time! More importantly, your w/p/so can believe this, and still note the lack of a gift at the same time. It isn't necessarily one or the other.

Any big plans out there?

Full disclosure: Jewelry. (Like I said, not a long list of options.)

2 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger lips said...

Fifteen years!! Wow, time is flying by. I hope your younger colleague listened to you--sage advice, Obi-Wan.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Although I marvel that any woman was up to the task of that 15 years, I have to give you some props, 3. And Frances!

We tend to keep it simple too, although my gift options are even more constrained by Mrs. TMcD's allergy to most jewelry. Blessing and curse! I had been planning to finish my V-day preparations this afternoon, but we're on lock down while the cops chase a gunman around campus after a (minor) shooting incident this morning. Apparently I walked past the suspect unawares as he ran from the scene. Too bad guns are banned on campus--otherwise, we could've had a real gun fight over who got to take him down, yo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home