Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Monday, August 08, 2005

Witchhunts, My Beeyatches

Check out this article in today's Post on belief in (and torture of suspected) witches in rural India. Really interesting discussion of superstition, gender, and class. But I especially wondered about this:

"I never name a witch. I only give villagers some clues to find her," said Leena Oraon, who is known as a witch doctor in Aragate village and who says she studies rice grains to ascertain the presence of a witch in the village. "Today's doctors cannot cure ailments that are caused by a witch's curse. That is why people come to me."


Exactly. "See, judge, I just give 'em some clues . . . ." And those damned fancypants doctors can't heal a . . . curse. 'Course not. But wait--it gets worse:

Only two Indian states, Jharkhand and Bihar, have outlawed witch-hunting. Last year, one of India's northeastern states, Tripura, conducted a discussion in the legislative assembly about the need to ban the practice of witch-hunting. After a day-long debate, the assembly unanimously decided that killing of people for practicing witchcraft should be prevented.

However, members failed to reach a consensus on whether witchcraft was a science or superstition.


Of course, the killing of people, period, should be prevented, so I'm a bit confused by the substance of this "day-long debate." I guess they debated outlawing witchhunting, per se, but if witchhunts regularly end with violence, shouldn't a general conspiracy to commit [felonious battery or equivalent] statute do the trick? (Plus, probably conspiracy (?) to commit second degree murder in a common law jurisdiction, if the article is accurate.) I mean, I'm not an Indian lawyer, but their law and ours have to share some similarities; English roots and all. I think I could figure out how to charge these cases so the perpetrators would do some serious time, even with a plea deal. (Honest offer: A crisp dollar bill to the first person who can get me a transcript of the record; including a web link.) But, really, a science or a superstition? Of course it's a science. I mean, there's that Hogwarts Academy that teaches the witchcraft, and that Harry Potter.

***

Speaking of witchcraft, I've been feeling a little tired lately. Which of you is the witch which has afflicted me? I'm looking at you, Curatasaurus--lookin' at you with me peepstone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home