Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Friday, November 04, 2005

This Week

Well, regular readers will have noticed spotty posting over the past week or so. Part of that was due to computer problems, but mostly it has been caused by two factors: (1) when I am busy at work, I post less, and because I don't post about work, as a general rule, being busy at work, while a good thing for my state of mind, is bad for the blog; and (2) I have been very, very tired all week. The latter is probably mostly due to the 20-mile run last Sunday, which was draining. I didn't feel that bad on Monday, but the run Tuesday night (a relatively easy five-mile run) really wiped me out. Plus my back has been sore since Tuesday night, and that must be running related. I felt so tired on Wednesday that I contemplated using a sick day, which for me would have been a pretty big deal. (I went to work anyway.)

I don't mean to complain, just to apologize for the light posting. I hope that lying low this weekend, sleeping in a bit (getting up at 5:30 am to run is hard), and only a 12-mile run on Sunday will do the trick.

The marathon is two weeks from Sunday.

I watched a really dreadful movie last night, which doesn't deserve a review, Identity (2003), starring John Cusack, who is usually quite reliable. This movie always looked pretty good in the commercials, but it has an awful secret--the whole story takes place in a psycho-killer's mind. I'm serious. Stay away, if you haven't already seen this, i.e., wasted your time.

We've also been watching the new "Colbert Report" on Comedy central, after the "Daily Show." So far, it's been pretty funny, although I wonder if it's funny if you don't know he's sending up one person, the insufferable Bill O'Reilly. Also, some of the humor is really edgy, not the sort of thing that will work with many viewers. And a lot of the humor is working at two levels. For example, the segment debating whether Halloween or Ramadan is the better holiday was funny because (1) it's such a laughable comparison, no one would actually make it, but at the same time, (2) it's the kind of comparison that a rightwing moonbat might make, and it's really offensive. Colbert joked Wednesday night that someone had declared a fatwa against him, and I'm not sure if that was a joke or not.

The segment on the "Report" when Colbert made a Ken Burns-style documentary about his interview with Ken Burns, which was narrated by Burns, was possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen. If you've got time, shoot over to the Comedy Central website and see if you can watch it there.

1 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger tekne said...

a strong second on the "stay away" warning on Identity. I was very disappointed as I enjoy Cusack, and if well-executed, the premise might be interesting. but sadly no. sigh.

much jealousy on the Colbert Report. We can only wait for the DVD here in the UK. I suppose we have nothing to complain about, what with the lack of neo-con/religious right leadership in this country. although we do complain. never fear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home