Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Fatelessness

This is an autobiographical Holocaust novel by a Jewish Hungarian survivor, Imre Kertesz. It is also a new foreign film. I read the novel over the holidays, and it's a great read. It's different from the other Holocaust memoirs/novels I've read, such as Night, The Drowned and the Saved, and so on, and I'm sure that the film will differ greatly from other Holocaust films. The word that I would use to describe Kertesz's voice is existential. His writing lacks sentimentality, completely. The tone is cold, observational. The narrator ends the novel refusing to forget what happened to him in the camps, becoming even nostalgic for his time there. It's a very different kind of novel.

I recommend the novel, and I hope to see the movie soon.

Btw, Kertesz won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2002.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home