Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Another Worth-Reading Kevin Drum Post

Whatever you want to say about Kevin Drum, he's a hell of a lot better blogger than yours truly. Purely in terms of technical merit and stuff. Anyway, I thought that this post on student emails was pretty funny, as are the links.

But especially relevant for readers and commenters on this blog was this: most people don't have a clue how they come across in email. This leads to all kinds of confusion, as the sender of an email is not necessarily that good at predicting how the recipient will take his intended sarcasm, good-natured ribbing, and so on. These electronic forms of communication have many advantages, but one HUGE disadvantage is that the recipients of your communication lack certain basic cues, cues that often alert recipients of communication to the intended meaning and/or subtext of your message.

I know, I know, where the hell is he going with this? (Missing cues and all that.) What I'm trying to say is that if you regularly refer to other commenters on this blog as a "toolbox" or as an "assclown," you might not mean it as harsh as it sounds (or, you may). But something may be lost in the electronic transmission, if you get my drift. And others reading the comments might get the sense that, well, you're kind of a jerk. (Not to say that you are, but some readers might, um, get that sense.)

3 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Emery,

That's "patronizing assclown", and don't you forget it!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm still reeling from the Curatasaur's announced engagement. Curatasaur, can it be true? What will I do now? I had all of my hopes and dreams pinned on you.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Travis said...

I had a tart response to Emery's public censure of me all lined up (adding heft to the general idea that I am a jerk) but then, right before posting the thing, I decided against it. I thought my fiance might disapprove if she were ever to see it. True story.

So consider me the kinder, gentler CL. For today.
Still a jerk, but trying.

And Nerdy-Nerd, for the record, CL ain't married yet. There's still some time. I don't know about your hopes but I can definitely make those dreams come true. (If I'm ever in the Ohio area scouting new talent for A&M...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home