Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

France Versus Italy for World Domination

The World Cup final is set: France versus Italy. I, for one, am glad that we avoided a France versus Germany final, seeing how the last few Franco-German conflagrations ended up.

I'm sure Paul is pulling for Italy, and not just because of his mamismo. I mean, he's got Italian connections, if you know what I mean.

My guess is TMcD is not pulling for the French, but I could be wrong (?).

Sam has written several posts about the World Cup, but I don't whether he's an Italy or a France person (?).

I have to say, I don't have a strong preference here. But I'm willing to be persuaded, one way or the other, in comments.

3 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

No strong preference on my part. If anything, I'll probably pull for the Frogs (is that derogatory? I'm never really sure.). Zidane has really impressed me this Cup. His performanace against Brazil was really masterful. He dominated that game like I've seen no other player do this year, and he did it against the frickin' Brazilians. So he's earned a little respect. Plus, in sport rooting, I have a soft spot for old bald guys toughing out one last big win (see, also "Agassi, Andre," "Smoltz, John," "Ripken, Cal").

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Paul said...

While the Zidane story might pull the strings of some hearts, it doesn't pull mine. Go Azzurri, even if many of the Italian players are under a dark cloud of suspicion for a point-shaving scandal involving four Italian clubs and Italian referees. As for the French and their fans, as least for the World Cup, I say to them, "Vafanculo!"

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger tekne said...

Europe v Europe, style v style, high art v high art, good food v good food. really tough to decide. in the commentating here in the UK they differentiate teams based on broad essentialist characterizations of their national identity: Latins = feisty, emotional; Africans = athletic, animal-like, instinctive; Germans = methodical, precise; Brits/US = wily, canny. So here we have to go back to basic essentialist character, right? French = suave, stylish, subtle; Italy = emotional, stylish, ebullient. it's the Mediterranean v. the Franks...what will we do?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home