Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Strange Bedfellows, Islamic Revolution Edition

Is it just me, or was it terribly strange for the president of the United States to hold a White House meeting with, um, the leader of the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI) yesterday? The photo of Bush sitting next to Hakim, dressed in his Ayatollah Khomeini garb, was pretty shocking. I mean, here's a president who won't talk to actual Iranian officials, but he's more than willing to roll out the red carpet for a close, close ally of Iran. This guy might not be in the Axis of Evil, but he's a fellow traveller, at least, no?

Don't get me wrong. I think that we should have direct talks with Iran. But the president ordinarily doesn't, right? And where was the wingnut outrage? Did I miss it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home