Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Worse than Anna Nicole

One trend in mainstream "news" coverage that I find disturbing is the overbearing emphasis on weather-related stories. This has been really prevalent this winter. Many, many stories on "severe" weather, but lots of these stories are just about snow and cold. News flash, folks, it's winter. It gets cold, in much of These United States, and there will be a few significant snow storms. It's just not clear to me how snow storms are the lead story on the "Today" show over and over again.

Of course, people are interested in the weather. But it should stay in its legitimate place in the line-up, which is after the hard news, before sports. The back page of the Metro section, not the front page.

I know, I know, I'm just being a cranky old man.

2 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Blogger fronesis said...

Just remember: I really like it when you are a cranky old man - makes me feel better when I do the same.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Hysterical weather coverage makes us feel like we're in battle. Those red clouds march across the TV screen like a conquering army. We need to win the war on tornadoists. So the coverage helps us vicariously support the troops, even as we're safe at home watching TV. Who says Americans can't handle hardship and sacrifice?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home