Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Friday, January 25, 2008

Iron Resolutions

I see others are reading and exercising. I wanted to say a few things on the latter (I think I've covered the former). My goal this year is to average 30 miles a week, running, and to break 70 minutes in the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in April. That (the latter) will be a challenge, as I only managed to break 74 minutes last year--so it would mark a substantial improvement over 2007. And I need to start doing some speedwork to meet that goal.

I'm also committing a good chunk of time to the weight room. I'm doing weights at least twice a week, and aiming for three weights workouts a week (one day chest and back, one day arms/shoulders, and Fridays chest, arms and shoulders combined). My goal is to beat my all-time max on the bench, which, as TMcD can testify, is 245 lbs (way back in 1994?). Just after the New Year, I pushed up 205 pretty easily, so I'm moving in the right direction. Of course, I weigh substantially less than in 1994, so 250 lbs in 2008 will actually represent a much greater accomplishment than the 245 lbs in the 1990s--at least as a ratio of body weight.

4 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Holy cow, 3! Did I see you bench 245? You were the man! I thought you cleared 235 maybe. My memory's a bit hazy, but I thought I got 260 or 265, and I think I was a few irons ahead of you back then. (If not now. Nothing kills your minutes in the gym like baby time.) Still, if you can push 250 from your 140, I'll be mucho impressed. A new Ant Man is born!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Number Three said...

You benched 255 if I remember correctly. And you're a really terrible fact witness, you know that?

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Hmmm... If I got 255, there's no way you got 245. My recollection is that you were always at least 20-30 pounds behind where I was. Not that 235 or 225 would have been bad. That's still some serious weight. And I know I've seen you push 225. But 245 seems unlikely, unless you're talking about a different day and a different TMcD.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Number Three said...

I remember this very clearly. I know that you always lifted a lot more than me, but I remember my 245 pretty clearly. Maybe you lifted more than 255. It's entirely possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home