Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Bathroom Humor

So I arrive at my night class location at the normal time (about 6.20 pm). It's not your typical classroom, but instead a converted rowhouse on Mass Ave. There are two bathrooms in the back. I lock the door that opens onto Mass Ave and use the restroom on the right. (The one that had the light on.) But when I'm finished, the door won't open. It's locked, and the lock is stuck. I can't get out!

I don't have my cell phone (it's in my backpack, in the classroom). The students will start arriving in, like, five minutes, and they won't be able to get in (I locked the door to the street before going in the restroom). The door will not unlock.

What to do?

I tried to pop the lock with a key, but the key is too short. I tried just yanking on the door, but no luck.

Ah, I can take the pins out of the door hinges and take the door off that way! That worked, but not without some serious yanking on the door. I escaped (self-rescue!) with about three minutes to spare. Just like MacGyver, no?

The sad thing is, this is the second time that one of the locks in this place broke. Last time, it was the deadbolt on the door. Really, really cheap doors in this place, needless to say . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home