Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bee in the Jungle (Or, "Why Is My Name on That Bus?")

Oh, and I should add, I thought that 'Bee' as a nickname would be cute and somewhat unique. Not unique unique, but at least unusual.
But contemporaneous with the naming decision, friend of the blog Curat Lex named a character in his novel 'Bee.' Completely coincidental.
OK.
But today, Bee and I were walking down the street (well, she was riding in comfort in her SUV-style BOB stroller, I was walking), and a Metro bus goes by. It has a MoveOn.Org ad on the side (it's DC, after all). And the ad on the side, a women holding a baby, I presume a little girl. With her checklist for the day. Which includes, "Read in Spanish to Bee."

I would like to claim credit for this. But since none of my friends have named a child after me--and I will accept a middle name credit--I suspect a broader trend.

I feel so unoriginal. Sorry, sweetheart. Let's hope Bee isn't the 'Jennifer' of your generation.

2 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having gone 2 for 4 in this department, I'll say you've really got to out on a limb to be unique and then you risk being way out on that limb. Ask my boy.

I'd never known any girls named Madison until my first, now every third girl her age is that, Maddy, Madeline, Maggy, something close. Which is why I call her Theo.

The wife is still bitter about Emma's name. Just a couple months after she was born, Jennifer Aniston named her baby Emma on Friends, and it shot to the top couple girl names for the next couple of years.

The point? Name them after an Persian tale or give them an adjective for a name.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Wilson said...

Basically the coolest toy ever:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

 

Post a Comment

<< Home