Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Gratuitous Offspring Boast

OK, so I know everyone hates it when people brag on their kids. Then again, no one really reads this page anymore, and I'm still resisting the lures of Greater Zuckerbergia, so, screw it, I'm going for it.

I haven't gotten a lot of new music lately--keeping my spending low, etc., etc.--but one thing I have gotten is the new Bob Dylan, Tempest. Which is really good, BTW, although maybe not quite the late-life masterwork that almost everyone in the music press has labelled it. To me it seems like a worthy, if not radically different, continuation of Dylan's efforts over the last decade, notably, Love & Theft and Modern Times, and of about the same quality. But what do I know? It is quite good. The title track is an ambling epic, a 14-minute folk shuffle, sans chorus, about the sinking of a rather famous ship.

And that brings me to a certain young woman, not quite six years old. Lang came up to me a couple of days ago and announced, "Daddy, this song is about the Titanic!" Well, yes it is, I told her, do you know what that is? Turns out she did. They taught her something about it in school, more evidence that kindergarten ain't what it used to be (the significant homework was another clue). More boggling, however, was that she somehow picked out the core topic of a Bob Dylan song, and a meandering one at that, something that I myself can't do with any promised regularity. She's done this kind of thing before, and it scares me a little having a child whose perceptiveness and emotional complexity so dwarfs my own. I expect she'll be trouble in a few years. For now I'm just enjoying the tranquil ocean view.

5 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Blogger fronesis said...

Awesome!! I have a feel Lang and I would get on great – as lyrics are really important to me in music. That said, there is NO WAY on earth I could pick up on something like that at 6. I work hard at it now and don't always succeed.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

You and Lang would definitely get along. She also apparently has a habit of telling people that if Mitt Romney wins, lots of poor people are going to die. Never actually told her that one, but she intuits!

In fairness to my other daughter, however, Bay did actually start singing "Tempest" to me from memory as I drove her to pre-school yesterday: "He dreamed the Titanic was sinking/ Into the underworld." At 3 1/2. She also chanted some Tom Petty at me a few days ago, "Hey, Spike, whatta' ya' like!?" Flip side is that I need to music censor a bit more now.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"She also apparently has a habit of telling people that if Mitt Romney wins, lots of poor people are going to die."

This had me laughing way too hard for way too long. That is just fantastic.

I really hope he doesn't, and the polls all say he won't. But I have to be honest, the shady actions of the Ohio SoS, the 1,000 early votes that were wiped clean in a largely democratic county in FL, the numerous articles of voter machine fraud and experimental programs being used in Ohio voting machines, vote flipping, etc. all have me really worried that the bastard is going to steal it. I have never cried foul when elections didn't go the way I wanted. Never. I'm very hesitant to buy in to claims of abusing the system. But this time the Republicans seem to simply not give a fuck when it comes to voter suppression and intimidation to the point that I'm just convinced they are going to do whatever it takes to steal this thing.

Any way, not trying to make this thread a political one. Just had to rant my worries for a second.

Glad to see you and the family are doing well, TmcD

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Not sure why it says "unknown", I signed into my google account.

Any way, this is Will.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

I share your skittishness, Will. This election is a good test of the effectiveness of mass voter suppression efforts. Wish it was only an academic question.

The more I think about it, Lang's precocious Romney wisdom is probably what happens when an almost-6 year old is exposed to too much MSNBC. Not that she's wrong. Just that the other kids in her kindergarten class are probably better off worrying about snack time and paste application than whether the next P & VP are going to starve their grandies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home