Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Move Along

That photo is from April 2003, downtown Chicago, as Chicago's finest prepared to meet the (largely non-existent) mobs of anti-IRAQWAR protesters. I took this picture. I remember those days. I was there. (I was not, on that day, a protester. I was there for MPSA.)

The 10th anniversary of this disastrous war is a sad occasion. I predicted that the war would go badly, and it did. Largely in ways that I predicted. I take little satisfaction in that. There's no satisfaction to be had when so many died, were maimed, displaced, etc. Whether removing Saddam Hussein was "worth it", I guess we'll never be able to ask the 100,000+ dead Iraqis. Maybe they would've accepted their own deaths for Hussein's? We'll never know.

What I am saddest about is that . . . our country has gone mad, and I don't see a path to bring it back. Whether it's the impeachment of Bill Clinton, or the GWOT, or irrational fears about Obama . . . . Madness. March it is, so March Madness. But it's been 20 years and counting. Is there hope yet?




This one is from March 2003 and is from a brief protest at CWRU--students laying down in Euclid Avenue, and, in this case, being dragged off the road. Curat Lex will remember this.





1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

I suspect madness is a more or less permanent state to which those who pay attention to politics must acclimate. Were the 1960s any more sane? Much less, I'd say, but still produced a lot of good--and some bad. Same for almost any decade you could mention. The Clinton years seemed more or less sane until you remember the impeachment crisis; the 50s look OK until you recall McCarthy and Montgomery.

As bad an idea as the Iraq War was, at this point I'm mostly just surprised it didn't turn out even worse. We seem to be leaving on relatively good terms, especially given the epic clusterfuck that was 2003-8.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home