Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

It's a Super Suprise

Well, Mr. Bennett has retired. He was the assistant superintendent during my years at VCL (I think). Anyway, lots of change at Vandercook Lake High School. This is really news, given that Mr. Andrews was the superintendent for 50 years, or something like that. (He died last year.)

My favorite Mr. Andrews story: Mr. Andrews's office was in the cafeteria/band room wing of the high school; if you walked by, you could see him in there--the office had a glass wall. But he was like 80 years old, so none of us (wise 16-18 year olds) ever thought he was anything but a doddering old geezer. Then, at an honors assembly or something--I believe it was my senior year, 1986-87--Mr. Andrews got up to speak, and after some initial pleasantries, he recited Casey at the Bat, verbatim, from memory. I remember how shocked we all were at this feat of memory and, frankly, dramatic presentation. From that day on, I had a special respect for "old man Andrews."

I got an email about this surprise for Mr. Bennett from a classmate at VCL, Gary Watters. I haven't seen Gary in person since, what?, 1987, but he sent me an email about this. Now that's what I call consideration. I look forward to seeing Gary and the other members of the VCL Class of 1987 at out 20th reunion in two years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home