Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Richard Rorty (1931-2007)

I read about this on a sometimes philosophical blog, but Richard Rorty died yesterday.

Paul probably doesn't have a take on Rorty--he died yesterday, not 2000 years ago--and TMcD has never been a fan, but I've always thought that his Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity is a pretty good book. (I suspect Frances agrees with me, more or less.)

In a better world, Rorty's passing would get news attention, and a spoiled socialite's incarceration would be a purely private concern. I couldn't find an obit at either the Post or NYTimes--yet. Let alone a news story. Maybe I missed something? I realize that Rorty was not a household name, but he was a pretty prominent intellectual, no?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home