Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Number Four, Part Deux

Apropos my discussion with da Great one, on the subject of Brett Favre's accuracy, he's only two interceptions away from tying George Blanda's venerable record of 275 career INT's. That's a lot of picks.

Of course, the real question, which I'm too lazy to figure out right now, is the ratio of INT's to pass attempts. My guess is that Favre has a lot more pass attempts than Blanda, given the periods in which they played. So Favre is maybe more accurate than . . . Blanda. I'm not sure that's saying a lot.

Btw, I was under the impression that Dave Krieg still had the career record for fumbles, but that record was "taken" by Warren Moon. Like the INT's record, the career fumbles record is a mark of pride and shame at the same time. You have to take a helluva lot of snaps to fumble a record number of times, folks.

4 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Wilson said...

I mean, fair enough. I would argue that if it weren't for the 'fluke' 29 int season 3 years ago he'd not ge getting this record, but we can't rewrite history. I'll grant you that the west coast offense tends to inflate completion %s and QB ratings. I still argue that in terms of pure ability, independent of statistics he's the best.

Have you read "The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis? There are a damning couple of pages in there on Joe Montana and Steve Young percieved 'greatness'.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Number Three said...

Is "Blind Side" good? If so, I'll read it.

And don't get me wrong--Favre is one of the all-time greats.

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Since Favre is Number Four and you're Number Three, are you rating yourself ahead of Favre?

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Wilson said...

"The Blind Side" is good, if you are interested in NFL football. It also happens to be about 50% a story of one person, and that's fascinating as well. I am a Michael Lewis partisan, however, and have liked all of his books. Obviously you should read Moneyball first, if you have not. But I would recommend "The Blind Side", or at least the chapters about Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home