Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Sunday, December 16, 2007

J.M.W. Turner at National Gallery

Finally made it down to see this exhibit at the National Gallery today. I have to say that, going in, I didn't know much about Turner's work and even less about his life. One member of the group I attended with asked me, at the museum, when Turner lived (as in, what era), which assured me that other highly educated folks don't know much about him, either. Link. So maybe if you knew a lot going in, the show wouldn't be quite so amazing.

Probably my favorite piece--and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, as it's the painting on the exhibition poster--is "Odysseus Deriding Polyphemus" (link). But if you follow the link, let me tell you that the actual painting is much more colorful and textured than the reproductions (and for some reason, that link was the best one I could find, and it's a crappy link). The real thing is astounding in person.

I'm planning to see the Hopper show at the East building before it closes (next month). I've heard really great things about it, too.

1 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Dr Selby Whittingham said...

For the disregard of Turner's wishes for his bequest see www.jmwturner.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home