Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super-BO

I guess now we know why Obama hadn't been spending as much on ads lately. I'd actually been wondering if he might take this chance. This ad will got a LOT of buzz. It's a good ad, but I wonder about the atmospherics. First, it's pitched very young. Second, it evokes a certain time and iconography. Where he's usually JFK or MLK, here he's pure RFK. Which means he makes it look like 1968. Is that a good image? Especially contra Tiger Cage Johnny?

4 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Blogger Frances said...

I think the rockin' street marchin' ad may be a little over the top. But I suppose it's ok for the Super Bowl. If anyone asked me, I wouldn't recommend heavy rotation for this one. He doesn't need to go out of his way to SCARE the old people, does he?

His biographical ad is better. (Have you seen it? It's the one with Lawrence Tribe and Claire McCaskill in it, among others.)

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Yup, good bio ad. I also generally think that any ad that spends significant time showing Obama speaking before a crowd is a knockout. I wish there had been more of that--and fewer slick graphics in the Superbowl spot.

On the plus side, I think that just running an ad, itself a novelty, gets the man points for boldness, something many of his critics claim he lacks (at least on policy). At the same time, a nice subliminal reminder of HRC's habitual caution.

Have you sen the latest polls? CBS/NYT has it dead even.

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Number Three said...

I think there's a good argument that the street marching ad is actually pitched old--at ageing hippies. Who else would respond to the RFK message?

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Good catch, 3. May also give good vibes to all those California dreamers he needs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home