Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Oppenheimer on NewsHour

For the Vandy folks, saw Bruce on the NewsHour, talking about the Ford-Corker race. I have to say, Bruce is surprisingly telegenic--which, btw, I don't mean as any kind of general criticism of Bruce's appearance (who am I to cast aspersions, after all). I just mean, he actually looks pretty good on the tv, and he sure sounds polished. But Margaret didn't ask Bruce to call the race. He did say, "to the surprise of many people," the race is close. And he compared Ford's style to that of Barak Obama, as a new kind of African-American pol. But I'm interested in Bruce's opinion on Ford's prospects. Maybe I'll look into that . . . .

Coincidentally, I actually saw Obama tonite at a Jim Webb rally in Old Town Alexandria. As some readers of FFB may know, one of my former students works for the Webb campaign, in a position of significant responsibility, so I stopped by to get a chance to chat. My sense is that the Webb campaign is pretty energized by how well things are going for them. For one thing, Allen keeps making gaffes. For another, Webb is a really appealing candidate. He's not Obama smoo-ooth. No. But he's honest, and I think that really comes across live. My guess is that Webb will carry northern Virginia, by a wide margin. What will happen in the rest of the state, that's the question.

Obama was great, as usual. He riffed on Gingrich's line, "Had enough?" He used that as his refrain--yes, he had had enough, on a number of issues, and he needs help in the Senate. The crowd loved Obama, but what's new? Especially the ladies. The ladies love Obama.

It was, btw, a big crowd. I was pretty close up, so I don't have an estimate. But my source says more than 500 internet RSVP's, which is something like 500 more than you would usually get. So maybe over a thousand. Like I said, I couldn't get a good look, but Market Square was pretty much full.

1 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Wouldn't you agree that Bruce isn't as telegenic as his co-author of a certain book?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home