Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Gen-X Movies

So I know nobody reads the blog any more, because I stopped posting and so what's the point? But I'm going to make one last go of this.

Last night, after the baby was asleep, I got in my 30 minutes of television. That's about what I get--on average. Some nights, zero. Some nights, maybe an hour--like Friday night, if I stay up to watch BSG.

Last night, I was flipping channels and stumbled on the beginning of the 1994 film, directed by Ben Stiller (!), Reality Bites. Wiki. You know the one--it's about four college friends, after graduation, trying to find their way in the adult world (in Houston of all places). The characters--played by Winona Ryder, Ethan Hawke, Janeane Garofalo (!), and Steve Zahn--are all annoying in their own way, but aren't they supposed to be? They are 22-23 year old Gen-Xers. Lord, I know how unbelievably awful I was at that age.

So here's my query: Is this the best Gen-X movie?

The only competitor that comes immediately to mind is Singles, but that's quite a different film, and more about the music, yes? Plus, aren't at least some of the characters a little older?

Now, remember, I'm not talking about an actual "good" movie. But the best one about Generation-X.

Oh, and no one make the I never bought into this whole Gen-X concept move. That is the ultimate Gen-Xer move. It makes you the Ethan Hawke character.

4 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Wilson said...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133189/

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Transient Gadfly said...

Dude, FFB is on the Hermeneutic Blog Circle. The miracle of RSS assures that as soon as you post, those of us subscribed know about it. Of course, "those of us subscribed" may only be me, but still.

I don't really have a Gen-X movie, I was just, you know, popping my head in.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger David said...

I made a list of the 10 best Gen -X movies ever and yes, I put Reality Bites on my list. Love to hear your take on the rest of the list.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Pretty good list from David on the link.

Your premise, 3, seems to peg Gen-X to its young adult phase, for which, you're right, Singles and Reality Bites are the best candidates--although I'd lean toward the former. If you include teen movies (Breakfast Club, Fast Times, Heathers; hey, where's Say Anything!?) you get a much better list. Problem is that Gen-X hadn't really come to understand itself AS "Gen-X" when those movies appeared, only defining that identity once the young adult flicks came along. By which time we were still making "teen flicks" just with older characters, thus making them generally lesser movies.

So, how's it feel getting a bunch of comments just when everyone has stopped reading? Partly my bad. I've been too swamped to post of late. And you know I bring in the crowds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home