Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Is There a Right-Wing Anti-Dem Talking Point

that Hillary won't mouth in attacking Obama? Hillary, tribune of the (unwashed and partially washed) masses and scourge of the muckity mucks, is now attacking friend-of-the-robber-barons Barack Obama as "elitist." I'm sure that the McCain campaign will be glad to adopt this ready-made media frame in the fall campaign, along with the "inexperienced" and "Rev. Wright" memes.

Remember triangulation? At that time, I was concerned about a political strategy that depended for its success on damaging one's own partisans. It's a great strategy if it's all about you, but not if it's about building institutions (or "solutions"!). But this is even worse than triangulation.

Because I'm bitter, I'm almost starting to think that this is some kind of conspiracy.

2 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger Frances said...

That woman is truly loathsome. Not to mention tiresome, cynical, and deeply, deeply dishonest.

Did you see Theda Skocpol's comments on this at Talking Points Memo?

It's pathetic to see her try to turn red/blue culture war dynamics against Obama. She can play that game in the sandbox of the Democratic party, but the GOP would truly show her how it's done if she ever becomes the nominee. As Atwater said, they'll take the "bark off her" using PRECISELY those frames. And it'll work a hell of a lot better deployed against her by McCain than it does deployed against Obama by her.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger tenaciousmcd said...

Exactly. The Skocpol bit was especially good--I read it about two minutes before I checked in over here. And Clinton's gambit is so pathetically phony it strains belief. In a phoniness league with her MLK speech, but with the added bonus of rank demagoguery and hypocrisy.

I've gotten to the point, I think, where I can't imagining voting for her were she the nominee. I really don't want to have to spend the next four years defending her if she's the President. I could never convince myself that she was doing anything other than self-interested pandering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home