Freedom from Blog

Don't call it a comeback . . . .

Monday, January 14, 2008

Culture Shock

Some comments I've heard at the grocery store, around town, in my first week back in the US:

1. "The poor [in the US] who can't afford health insurance have better medical coverage than those with some money."

2. "The muslims want to destroy us and take over the world."

3. "I like Obama as a person, but I would never vote for him."

4. "The looming recession doesn't bother me -- I've already lived a full life. Besides, the Lord will return soon."

5. "We need to cut the deficit, but we can't cut military spending because there are too many threats out there."

1 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger fronesis said...

These quotes are all very very scare, especially for someone contemplating the idea of moving back to the states.

That said, in addition to being scary, I wonder if - given the current debacle that is the HMO system - the first claim doesn't also have quite a bit of truth to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home